Login to enhance your online experience.Login or Create an Account
Eggimann Truck Parts and Service's History
Eggimann Truck Parts and Service was founded by Ernest and Helen Eggimann in the fall of 1945. The original location was at 834 South Park Street in Madison, Wisconsin. Ernest had a dream of having the very best truck service operation this state had ever seen. In order to pull this off, he needed the right business structure. Therefore Eggimann incorporated on December 5, 1945. The first official stockholders meeting was held on December 14, 1945 at the Park Street location. There were three original members present at that meeting, Ernest and Helen Eggimann and Paul Graedel. Paul was actually an employee at the time.
With the proper business structure now in place, it was time to go to work. And work they did. In fact, they worked so hard and did such a good job that they quickly grew out of their Park street location and were forced to consider expanding the operation. Unfortunately there was no room to expand at Park street so they went looking for a new location. It had to be accessible; it had to have plenty of room for future growth; and they had to speculate on which way the city of Madison was going to go with it's own growth. Ernest found just the right spot. Madison's West Beltline. It was, would be, and still is Madison's main artery.
The land for the new Eggimann Motor and Equipment Sales was purchased in November of 1958. There was a board of directors and stockholders meeting called for November 5, 1958. At 8:30 P.M., Chairman of the board Ernest Eggimann, requested the permission of board members and stockholders to use the Park street property to secure a loan to build the new Eggimann. After an open discussion, the motion was passed unanimously. It was agreed that the Chairman should proceed with the loan with the Bank of Madison. The birth of the new Eggimann on the West Beltline was under way. The move was made in June 1959.
With a new location, and a new building, it was time to go back to work. Ernest never forgot what had gotten him to that point. It was GOOD SERVICE at a FAIR PRICE that had built his business, and he never wanted to lose touch with those principles. He knew what a days work was, and what it took to get a dollar, and it was that respect for his customers that kept them coming back.
Ernest Eggimann passed away in 1977, but not before he had instilled in his young grandson, Steve Beecraft, his values, integrity and work ethic to carry on the task at hand which was to keep his dream alive and keep moving forward.
A young Steve Beecraft went to work with his grandfather many times, playing around the shop until he was old enough to get his hands dirty. Steve started with the small stuff and worked his way up from there.
In the interim, Ronald Houser was named C.E.O. in 1979, taking over the reins of this already veteran operation and steering the ship into the 80's. By 1985 the young Steve Beecraft had worked his way up to shop manager. At this point he had worked just about every job in the place and the time had come for him to have some major input.
With Steve pushing the way, there was additional office space added, as well as four repair bays in 1986. In 1987 the Machine Shop was added, and in 1989, the Radiator Shop came on board. Things were really starting to happen again.
In 1992, Steve Beecraft, the proud grandson of Ernest Eggimann took over the company. Ernest would be very proud and pleased with his grandson's efforts. In 1994 he began the company's first night shift, and Steve has never looked back.
In 1997 there was yet another expansion at Eggimann. In fact a 1,000,000 dollar expansion to be exact. There was another four service bays added, an 8,500 sq. ft. warehouse added directly on to the parts department. A state of the art pit with heavy duty lazer alignment equipment, and a new hydraulics shop.
It seemed as though that a young grandson
It seems the more things change, the more they stay the same!